On average, it takes a hailstone with a 1″ or higher to cause harm to traditional Asphalt Shingles. When we are talking about hail sizes, here are a few basic things for you to compare:
- Pea = 1/4-inch in diameter
- Marble = 1/2-inch in diameter
- Dime or penny = 3/4-inch in diameter
- Nickel = 7/8-inch
- Quarter = 1 inch
- Golf Ball = 1½ inches
- Tennis Ball = 2½ inches
- Baseball = 2¾ inches
- Teacup = 3 inches
- Softball = 4 inches
- Hail damage can be categorized as ‘functional’ or ‘cosmetic’.
Functional hail injury term is used when the hail ruins the viability and durability of the roof. Cosmetic hail damage is a kind of damage that doesn’t change the integrity of the roof, it keeps working normally.
High winds and hail can decrease the integrity of your shingles. A weak seal can be why shingles blow off and leave your roof exposed to the natural elements. A broken shingle can lead to leaks and can induce other shingles around it to split.
Here are other types of damage that can be caused by hail:
- Damage to siding and window sills
- Bent gutters, damaged gutter screens, or downspouts
- Harm to decks or painted wood surfaces
- Damage To Roof Vents And Shingles
To make sure you’ll never suffer from this type of problem, it’s necessary to get a qualified and trained inspector such as Roofers LLC workers to assist you with the maintenance.
If you are a homeowner & need residential roofing services, schedule a free roof inspection, or call Roofers LLC today at (864) 740-1691, and we’ll come out asap to help!