BUILT-UP ROOFING (BUR)
The Ideal Roofing Solution for Durability and Protection
When it comes to protecting homes and buildings in Greenville, South Carolina, from the region’s unpredictable weather conditions, choosing the right roofing system is paramount.
Among the various options available, built-up roofing stands out as a durable and reliable choice that offers excellent protection and longevity. In this article, we will explore the benefits, features, and installation process of built-up roofing in Greenville, SC.
A sticky, black, and viscous material that acts as a waterproofing agent.
Typically fiberglass or polyester, these fabrics enhance the strength and stability of the roof.
Options include gravel, mineral granules, or a reflective coating, providing additional protection and aesthetic appeal.
Advantages Of Built Up Roofing
Built-up roofing offers numerous benefits that make it an ideal choice for Greenville’s climate and environmental conditions:
Built-up roofing is designed to withstand the test of time, with a typical lifespan of 20 to 30 years or more.
The multiple layers of bitumen and reinforcing fabrics create a highly effective barrier against water penetration.
High Wind Resistance
The combination of multiple layers and proper installation techniques enhances the roof’s resistance to strong winds common in the area.
Built-up roofing is inherently fire-resistant, providing an added layer of safety for homes and buildings.
The layers of insulation within the built-up roofing system improve energy efficiency by reducing heat transfer, resulting in potential cost savings on cooling and heating.
Installation Process of Built-Up Roofing in Greenville, SC:
Installing built-up roofing requires professional expertise and attention to detail. Here is an overview of the installation process:
Roof Inspection and Preparation:
1. Assessment: A professional roofing contractor assesses the existing roof condition, identifying any underlying issues or damage.
2. Surface Preparation: The surface is cleared of debris and thoroughly cleaned to ensure proper adhesion of the roofing materials.
3. Substrate Repair: If there are any damaged substrates, such as rotted wood or deteriorated insulation, they are repaired or replaced.
Layering and Application:
- Base Sheets and Insulation: A layer of base sheets is installed, followed by insulation boards to enhance energy efficiency and provide additional structural support.
- Bitumen Application: Multiple layers of bitumen are then applied, alternating with reinforcing fabrics to create a durable and waterproof membrane.
- Reinforcement: The reinforcing fabrics are embedded in the bitumen layers to increase strength and stability.
4. Surface Protection: Finally, a layer of gravel or mineral granules is added for added protection against UV rays, foot traffic, and weather elements.
Maintenance and Repair:
Regular Inspections: Built-up roofing requires periodic inspections to identify any signs of damage or wear.
Leak Detection and Repair: If leaks are detected, prompt repairs should be carried out to prevent further damage.
Replacing Damaged Sections: In cases of significant damage or aging, specific sections of the built-up roof may need to be replaced to maintain its integrity.
Choosing the Right Built-Up Commercial Roofing Services in Greenville, SC:
Selecting a reliable and experienced roofing contractor is crucial for the successful installation of built-up roofing systems. Here are some considerations:
Research and Evaluation:
Credentials and Experience: Verify the contractor’s licenses, certifications, and experience in installing built-up commercial and industrial roofing systems.
Customer Feedback: Read reviews and testimonials from previous clients to gauge the contractor’s reputation and quality of work.
Price Comparison: Request quotes from multiple contractors and compare them to ensure a fair price for the project.
Selecting the Best Contractor:
Quality and Expertise: Prioritize contractors with a proven track record in installing and maintaining built-up commercial roofing systems.
Licensing and Insurance: Ensure that the roofing excellence holds the necessary licenses and insurance to protect you from any liabilities.
Warranties and Guarantees: Inquire about the warranties and guarantees provided by the contractor to ensure long-term satisfaction and support.